Receiving Funds from Overseas
Receiving funds from Overseas / Receiving foreign currencies from Domestic financial institutions
In accordance with the Individual Number system effective from January 2016, customers who wish to make or receive international fund transfers are required to register their Individual Number (also called “My Number”) with us.
Fees and currencies available for fund transfers to SBI Shinsei Bank
Handling fee for overseas or domestic foreign currency remittances and Japanese yen remittances from overseas or domestically from non-residents of Japan.
As of October 20, 2023
for fund transfers
to SBI Shinsei Bank
|Japanese Yen||JPY 2,000|
|US Dollar||USD 14.00|
|Australian Dollar||AUD 22.00|
|New Zealand Dollar||NZD 24.00|
|Canadian Dollar||CAD 20.00|
|Sterling Pound||GBP 11.00|
for fund transfers
to SBI Shinsei Bank
|Hong Kong Dollar||HKD 105.00|
|Singapore Dollar||SGD 20.00|
|South-Africa Rand||ZAR 259.00|
|Norwegian Krone||NOK 154.00|
|Turkish Lira||TRY 359.00|
|Chinese Yuan*||CNY 99.00|
- Acceptable only for transfers made from Japanese domestic financial institutions.
- Remittance financial institutions or intermediary banks may charge fees separately from the handling fee.
- The handling fees for incoming foreign exchange remittances will be deducted separately from the incoming foreign exchange remittance amount.
- The handling fee will be deducted or debited from one of the following in the following order of priority: (1) the incoming funds (2) savings deposit account of the same currency as the incoming funds (3) yen savings deposit account. Customers cannot designate the currency for the handling fee. (3) In case of debiting the handling fee from customer's yen savings deposit account, 2,000 yen will be debited regardless of the currency received.
- The remittance will be returned to the requester if (1) funds received, (2) the amount of the savings deposit account of the same currency with the funds received and (3) yen savings deposit account are smaller than the amount of the handling fee. (1), (2), and (3) cannot be combined.
- SBI Shinsei Bank will not debit the handling fee when it is paid by the sender.
- Foreign currency-based handling fees are determined so that they are equivalent to 2,000 yen. The fees are reviewed regularly since their amounts translated into yen change due to fluctuations in foreign currency exchange rates.
2,000 yen Cash-back Program
2,000 yen will be returned per incoming foreign exchange remittance to the customers who are either "Diamond", "Platinum", "Gold" or "Silver" under the Step Up Program at the time of receiving the incoming foreign exchange remittance if the handling fee is deducted from their SBI SHINSEI BANK Account. Please click here for the details about the program.
* The Incoming Foreign exchange remittance administrative fee (the handling fee) is an amount equivalent to 2,000 yen. However, the handling fee for "Diamond", "Platinum", "Gold" and "Silver" customers will be virtually free of charge because 2,000 yen will be returned to them by the end of the following month. Foreign currency-based handling fees are determined so that they are equivalent to 2,000 yen. The fees are reviewed regularly since their amounts translated into yen change due to fluctuations in foreign currency exchange rates.
If the handling fee is paid by the sender, no handling fee will be charged by SBI Shinsei Bank and therefore cash-back program will not apply.
The Cash-Back program is unlimited and will apply to each incoming remittance.
Necessary information to receive money
This is the basic information required for the “Application Form for Remittance with Declaration”, to send funds from other banks to us.
[Notice]If you wish to receive funds in the originally transferred foreign currency into your SBI SHINSEI BANK account, please instruct the sending bank to transfer the funds to your SBI SHINSEI BANK account without converting to Japanese Yen.
- *1Please contact at PowerCall if you need additional information other than SWIFT Code.
- *2Please fill in the branch name and address corresponding to the branch
code on the cash card (The branch code 400 is Head office).
Please see the Branch List to check the branch code, name and address. We have a new branch name and address if the branch you've opened the account has already been closed.
Registration of your Individual number (My number) is necessary when receiving funds from overseas. Please note that we may inquire about the circumstances and details in regards to funds transferred from overseas. In addition, we may also ask for some documents as evidence for the overseas transfer. "Advice of remittance" with the remitter's name, amount and message (if there is any) will be sent from SBI Shinsei Bank after the funds is deposited. If the amount of fund transfer to SBI Shinsei Bank from overseas is 30,000,000 yen equivalent or more, the "Report of Payment" will be mailed to you. Please fill in the relevant information and send it back to us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Introductory Help Videos
& How-to Guide
Regarding foreign currency deposits
- As the conversion rates of foreign currencies into yen (foreign exchange rates) fluctuate, foreign exchange deposits carry a risk of loss of yen denominated principal resulting from exchange rate fluctuations when converting foreign currencies back into yen.
- In the event of high market volatility, system malfunctions, etc., the foreign exchange rates applied by the Bank may differ significantly from prevailing market rates. Customers are urged to confirm the foreign exchange rates to be applied to any such transactions.
- Foreign exchange fees apply when depositing/withdrawing yen into/out of foreign currency accounts. Unconventional currency exchange fees may be applied in the event of drastic foreign exchange rate fluctuations or when major markets are closed. The maximum rates of such one-way exchange fees and round-turn exchange fees are 5.5 yen per unit and 11 yen per unit respectively. For a direct non-yen cross currency exchange, the foreign exchange fees will be 0.02 multiplied by one of the currencies.
- There is a risk of loss of yen denominated principal due to the application of foreign currency exchange fees and applied interest rates, even if foreign exchange rates do not fluctuate.
- Preferred rates of Step Up program are applied to transactions changing yen to a foreign currency and vice versa. (n.b. Preferred rates are not applicable to transactions between non yen foreign currencies or when the outstanding foreign currencies balance is converted to yen as part of closing an account. Additionally, preferred rates are not applicable in exchanging currencies or paying interest in the PowerSupport Plus program, or purchasing foreign currencies through the PowerBuilder program.)
- Foreign currency deposits are not guaranteed by deposit insurance.
- In principle, foreign currency denominated time deposits may not be cancelled before maturity. However, in the event the Bank recognizes extraordinary circumstances and deems the cancellation of foreign currency denominated time deposits before maturity as unavoidable, only principal amounts will be refunded (interest thereon will not be honored).
- Interest is subject to 20.315% withholding tax (national tax 15.315% and local tax 5%). The fractional figure of the after-tax interest rate shall be rounded down.
- Principal and interest of foreign currency time deposits shall be credited into PowerFlex savings deposits of the same currency on the maturity date without converting into another currency. The savings deposit interest rate for the same currency will be applied on and after the maturity date.
- Cash in foreign currencies and foreign currency remittances are not available at our branches.
- Fees will be charged for foreign currency remittances.
- Handling Fee will be charged for incoming foreign exchange remittances.
- Application to GoRemit overseas remittance service must be made before making foreign currency remittances.
- Before investing in foreign currency deposits customers should carefully read the product description of foreign currency deposits (pre-contract document) that is available in the Bank branches and online so that they can fully understand characteristics of the foreign currency deposits.
- Receiving Funds from Overseas