Open an account by mail
No need to visit a branch
Who can open an account?
- You must be a resident of Japan.
- You must have resided in Japan for over 6 months or more, or working in a company with a office located in Japan. This will exclude part-time jobs. For more details, please click here.
- You must own a personal Japanese telephone number. The phone number at your workplace or someone else's phone number will not be accepted.
- Those who have resided less than 6 months after entering Japan and who are not working in Japan or those who have diplomatic, official, or short-term visa status.
- Corporate application
- Post office box address
- Joint accounts
- Customers who are classified as Foreign Politically Exposed Persons, PEPs will be required to open their account in person at the branch.
Required identification documents
Please confirm you have all required documents for your application.
- Customers who classify as U.S. citizens under U.S. taxation laws will be required to provide additional documents.
How To Open an Account
Step 1: Download an application form or request a Starter Kit
Please choose from the following two options: 'Request a Starter Kit' or 'Download an application form'.
- If a Starter Kit is requested, it will take about 7-10 days to arrive
Enclose all the necessary documents in an envelope and send it to the bank.
Processing will take about 7-10 days
- Please note that we do not return the account application forms or identification documents once they are submitted.
Cash card and PIN will be sent separately. The cash card is sent as simple registered mail (Kani kakitome), and the PIN is sent as acceptance-recorded mail (Tokutei kiroku yubin). For security reasons, they may arrive on different days.
- The cash card may not be embossed with your full name due to limits on the number of letters.
- Simple registered mail (Kani kakitome) and acceptance-recorded mail (Tokutei kiroku yubin) are mail services that record delivery. If the mail is delivered during your absence, you will receive a "Contact form for absence of mail, etc." and the mail will be brought back to the post office. Please request post office to redeliver the mail. For details, please check post office's website.
Make a deposit and start using the account.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I open an account?
- Am I eligible to open an account?
- How long does it take to open an account?
- I don't know how to fill in the application form.
- What kind of identification documents do I need to apply for an account?
- Open an account by mail