Foreign Currency Savings Deposit
Exchange yen for 13 different foreign currencies, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Foreign Currency Deposit products may fall below the original amount in yen. Click here for more details
PowerFlex Foreign Currency Savings Deposit
- 13 foreign currencies available
- Exchange currency 24/7
- Variable interest rate
- Affordable commission fees
Foreign currency deposits are set-up using exchange rates based on market conditions.
- In the event of sudden fluctuations in foreign exchange markets, etc., the exchange rates presented by the bank may differ significantly from prevailing exchange rates.
Variable interest rate is adjusted daily. Interest rate changes depending on the daily closing balance.
- According to market trends, campaigns, etc. in some instances, preferential interest rates may change or may not be applied.
Foreign Exchange Fees
Foreign exchange fees apply when depositing/withdrawing yen into/out of foreign currency accounts.
- If there is a dramatic increase in foreign currency exchange requests while markets are closed (e.g. weekends, holidays, etc.) or drastic market fluctuations, unconventional currency exchange fees may be applied.
Acceptable Customer Risk Level
This product is recommended for customers with acceptable risk levels 1-6.
|1 subsidiary currency unit
|Interest Payment Method
|Currency of Interest
(same as original deposit)
|Foreign currency deposit may fall below
the original amount in yen. More details
|Not covered by deposit insurance.
Please note: When purchasing or selling foreign currency via PowerDirect or PowerCall(automated guidance), there is a maximum volume limit per single transaction. There is no daily maximum limit to the number of transactions you can make.
Transactions between Yen and Foreign Currency
- Minimum amount of at least 1,000 yen
* This is not limited to the settling out of foreign currency deposits by PowerCall (operator).
- For PowerDirect and PowerCall (automated voice), the maximum amount allowed is the equivalent of 5 million yen. There are no limits to the number of transactions you can make per day. Please also note the maximum amount allowed per transaction between the time period of 7:00 a.m. Saturday to around 7:00 a.m. Monday (JST) is the equivalent of 2 million yen. For PowerCall (operator), there is no maximum amount.
Cross Currency Transactions
- Minimum amount of at least 10 basic currency units
- For PowerDirect, the maximum amount is 30,000 basic units for US Dollars,
Euros, and Canadian Dollars, 20,000 basic units for Pounds Sterling, and 50,000
basic units for Australian Dollars and New Zealand Dollars. There is no maximum
amount for PowerCall (operator only).
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I open an account?
- How can I make a deposit into my PowerFlex account?
- What kinds of FX Buy/Sell transactions are available?
- What transactions are available on Internet banking?
Regarding foreign currency deposits
- As the conversion rates of foreign currencies into yen (foreign exchange rates) fluctuate, foreign exchange deposits carry a risk of loss of yen denominated principal resulting from exchange rate fluctuations when converting foreign currencies back into yen.
- In the event of high market volatility, system malfunctions, etc., the foreign exchange rates applied by the Bank may differ significantly from prevailing market rates. Customers are urged to confirm the foreign exchange rates to be applied to any such transactions.
- Foreign exchange fees apply when depositing/withdrawing yen into/out of foreign currency accounts. Unconventional currency exchange fees may be applied in the event of drastic foreign exchange rate fluctuations or when major markets are closed. The maximum rates of such one-way exchange fees and round-turn exchange fees are 5.5 yen per unit and 11 yen per unit respectively. For a direct non-yen cross currency exchange, the foreign exchange fees will be 0.02 multiplied by one of the currencies.
- There is a risk of loss of yen denominated principal due to the application of foreign currency exchange fees and applied interest rates, even if foreign exchange rates do not fluctuate.
- Preferred rates of Step Up program are applied to transactions changing yen to a foreign currency and vice versa. (n.b. Preferred rates are not applicable to transactions between non yen foreign currencies or when the outstanding foreign currencies balance is converted to yen as part of closing an account. Additionally, preferred rates are not applicable in exchanging currencies or paying interest in the PowerSupport Plus program, or purchasing foreign currencies through the PowerBuilder program.)
- Foreign currency deposits are not guaranteed by deposit insurance.
- In principle, foreign currency denominated time deposits may not be cancelled before maturity. However, in the event the Bank recognizes extraordinary circumstances and deems the cancellation of foreign currency denominated time deposits before maturity as unavoidable, only principal amounts will be refunded (interest thereon will not be honored).
- Interest is subject to 20.315% withholding tax (national tax 15.315% and local tax 5%). The fractional figure of the after-tax interest rate shall be rounded down.
- Principal and interest of foreign currency time deposits shall be credited into PowerFlex savings deposits of the same currency on the maturity date without converting into another currency. The savings deposit interest rate for the same currency will be applied on and after the maturity date.
- Cash in foreign currencies and foreign currency remittances are not available at our branches.
- Fees will be charged for foreign currency remittances.
- Handling Fee will be charged for incoming foreign exchange remittances.
- Application to GoRemit overseas remittance service must be made before making foreign currency remittances.
- Before investing in foreign currency deposits customers should carefully read the product description of foreign currency deposits (pre-contract document) that is available in the Bank branches and online so that they can fully understand characteristics of the foreign currency deposits.